riley

riley

The Belief in a Just World: A Fundamental Delusion
Melvin Lerner

Master Francis Rabelais V2: Five Books Of The Lives, Heroic Deeds And Sayings Of Gargantua And His Son Pantagruel (1904) - Francis Rabelais This is probably the most important epic between the ancients and Quixote. Quixote is a lot better. It is a lot more inventive and interesting. G and P gets pretty tiresome. But it was ridiculous for its time. I mean I can't even believe this was widely read. It's so offensive, given the time. It's hilarious. It's...well, just impossible to conceive of in the Middle Ages (except for the lack of a “total” form of government, which explains – partly – why it was acceptable). I guess the thing to say is that it is extremely important: in terms of subversion, but also in how it established new standards for the novel, and one would think now boundaries for what was possible in long-form literature. It is also quite funny, at first. The humour is the same pretty much throughout, so it gets less funny when you see very similar jokes.