riley

riley

The Belief in a Just World: A Fundamental Delusion
Melvin Lerner

American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America

American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War on America - Chris Hedges I agree with Hedges just about 100% in regard to the similarities between the Christian Right in the United States and Nazis, Fascists and the like. So he was preaching to the converted with me. I think his relatively cogent assessment of what it is is definitely helped by the investigative journalist parts which add a human dimension which would be missing from a straight up assessment of Christian Right as Fascism. Where Hedges falters is when he tries to decisively link the rise in popularity of the Christian Right with certain economic changes in the US. Yes, there is certainly a claim to be made in this regard as two things coincide. But did economic changes precipitate the Great Awakenings? There is a long history of religiosity (and particularly this kind of intolerant religiosity) in the United States and I don't really buy Hedges explanation. I think he wants us to but it's just too simple. The world is more complicated than merely "these economic changes caused these social changes." The book would be significantly better if he didn't get on that horse of his (and it's one he gets on a lot). That being said, it is still a highly alarming read and worth your time if, you know, you aren't a "Christo-Fascist."