riley

riley

The Belief in a Just World: A Fundamental Delusion
Melvin Lerner

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain First off, it is a great story and its being told in the vernacular is probably fairly significant for American literature (but I really don't know for a fact). Apparently, he really did try to nail it in a way no one had before but like I said, I don't actually know. The one issue with the story for me is the appearance of Tom Sawyer near the end, but whatever. It's nitpicking. Here is my ridiculous pretentious wannabe literature critic interpretation: it is about the creation of narratives to improve our non-narrative existence. Narratives give us meaning, of course, but it seems that Twain/Clemens is suggesting that we do this more for profit (the Duke and the King) and for fun (Sawyer) than we do to give ourselves a place or a meaning. How are these stories that much different than the constructions the major American ideologies have created about the world? How are they much different than what any of us tell ourselves about our country, our culture, our society, our town etc? As far as I'm concerned, there are still plenty of people about who are just like Huck's dad. And you need go no further than Fox News to find modern versions of the Kind and the Duke. That's pretty impressive.