riley

riley

The Belief in a Just World: A Fundamental Delusion
Melvin Lerner

The Art of Possibility: Transforming Professional and Personal Life

The Art of Possibility: Transforming Professional and Personal Life - Rosamund Stone Zander, Benjamin Zander This is much easier to take than most self-help books I've read, simply because they do not try to solve the problem of "You" (capital y). Most self-help books are unbearably condescending whereas this is bearably condescending. Basically, I agree with their practical advice much of the time, but I disagree with the gnostic and po-mo philosophies underlying it. I find that they are far too cocooned in their particular corner of the world, surrounded by rich and capable people. How would these ideas work in Somalia? They also use induction, which, as we all know, has been a major cause of terrible philosophy since the dawn of history (simply because induction is backwards logic). But their advice is helpful. I already do some of these practices (imagine coming to these ideas without the help of the Zanders!!!) and they are helpful at making us healthier mentally. So in that sense I can hardly condemn it. But seriously, don't take the underlying philosophy as anything more than nonsense. People are not all bundles of potential. If they were, we would have unlocked it and we'd all be totally happy. And then what would life be?