riley

riley

The Belief in a Just World: A Fundamental Delusion
Melvin Lerner

Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy

Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy - Vincent Bugliosi So it's sort of ridiculous that it has come to this and someone has to go point by point through everything to explain exactly what happened and how it happened. But it's necessary. I don't know if this is a great book, I certainly don't think it's one of the great books of the century, but it is a necessary book because it is factual and it is rigorous in ways in which all of the conspiracists aren't. If, upon finishing this book, one is still arguing pro-conspiracy, one will never believe otherwise. Here is the legal case against Oswald plus so many reasons why anything else isn't possible it makes your head spin. At the beginning, Bugliosi tells a story that reflects exactly the problem. He is in a room full of lawyers. He asks the lawyers whether they believe there was a conspiracy. Most say yes they do. Then he asks them if both sides of the story are necessary to understand a crime. They agree. Then he asks how many have read the Warren Report (as opposed to the full Commission documents) and only a few say they have. The point being that the vast majority of us have never even seen the Warren Report, let alone Warren Commission documents. We take our cues from those who quote it or who quote others who quote it. And when they misrepresent the investigation or completely change the findings to suit their needs, we believe them because we want to believe something exciting happened, or we want to believe we're in on the secret, or we want to believe events are being controlled by secret powers, or whatever. But none of that is true. This book demolishes all the conspiracy theories and for that it is important.