riley

riley

The Belief in a Just World: A Fundamental Delusion
Melvin Lerner

Eating in the Dark: America's Experiment with Genetically Engineered Food

Eating in the Dark: America's Experiment with Genetically Engineered Food - Kathleen Hart This is an alarming read. It's preposterous to me that industry and government believe there is any kind of argument against labelling. Their argument is "it could hurt profits." How is that an argument? The analogy that these things are like microwaves is utterly false. The only way that analogy would work is if the microwave had been a new kind of fridge that exposed people to microwaves, unlike older fridges, but the consumer was uninformed about the difference. Haven't we had enough experiments go wrong to at least label our food? Hart isn't quite as unbiased as she'd like to be. She does include lots of voices from the other side but it's clear that she thinks these people are out to lunch (and though she may be right, her job as a journalist should be to be a little more in the middle). The biggest issue for me is that this is not a systematic book. It's sort of "where I went and what I found" and I think it could be helped by a more methodical approach. Still, a good and alarming if one-sided read.