riley

riley

The Belief in a Just World: A Fundamental Delusion
Melvin Lerner

The Big Money: Volume Three of the U.S.A. Trilogy

The Big Money - John Dos Passos, E.L. Doctorow [2 1/2/ 5] Whereas I found Nineteen Nineteen to be a significant improvement on the first book, this one feels like he has lapsed back into his bad habits, and he gets confused between the form and the storytelling. He is still writing reasonably compelling stories but he can't decide whether he wants to tell one person's story or the country's. So we get tons of two people in this book, and the others are glimpsed only a little, as they somehow manage to meet each other at dinners and parties and such (reading the USA trilogy, one becomes convinced that the United States has as few people in it as Canada). And he just isn't consistent with his form. "The Camera Eye" almost disappears for whole sections. And we get a chapter about one guy and, just like the first novel, we don't here from him again for hundreds of pages. I'm not taking notes. I need to be reminded that some of these people exist more often than every 150-200 pages. I sort of thought he had worked things out in part 2, which is why I read part 2. But I have found that really this has to be one of the most overrated works of the 20th century. Yes, he did do something new and different, but he didn't do it well, and certainly that is as important as doing it first.