riley

riley

The Belief in a Just World: A Fundamental Delusion
Melvin Lerner

Hannah Arendt: For Love of the World, Second Edition

Hannah Arendt: For Love of the World - Elisabeth Young-Bruehl Hannah Arendt is my favourite philosopher. If I am anything, I am an Arendtian (with qualifications). This is an illuminating portrait as it is nice to know where her ideas came from. When I first encountered her, not knowing Heidegger or Jaspers, she seemed to come out of the ether. It helps explain their influence (and the influence of some other contemporaries, as well as the important influences of Augustine and Kant) and it puts her very difficult thought in context. I love Arendt because she refused to offer solutions like other philosophers; she was more an identifier and clarifier of problems to be solved. I think this is a fundamental role for philosophy or political theory because I think theoretical ideas are hardly the area from where we can draw our solutions. It's better to use these tools to explain the problems and then look to more practical means for fixing them. It's worthwhile if you're a fan of hers. I'm not sure it's worthwhile if you don't know her or don't care for existentialism/(early) post-modernism. Though this is out of place: as far as I'm concerned the Human Condition is one of the best non-fiction books of the 20th century and should be read by everyone who can understand it. The Origins of Totalitarianism is pretty seminal as well, although I don't agree with all of it.