riley

riley

The Belief in a Just World: A Fundamental Delusion
Melvin Lerner

My Secret History

My Secret History - Paul Theroux This is a mediocre novel with a great ending. I don't really know why I'm supposed to care about this guy's affairs, which he won't reveal to anyone except, you know, the readers of the book. Whatever it is that attracts me to stories is missing from this one. I couldn't care less about this guy. I don't like him. And I don't find his interactions funny (though I think that was the intention as at least one blurb on the book says the book is funny). I find him sad. I find him generally unlikable. And I find the whole book to be sort of aimless. It disappointed me because I really liked the other two Theroux books I read. But this one just lacks something I can't put my finger on. And it is very clearly drawn partially from his own experiences as there are passages that are almost exact summaries of TGRB, which strikes me as somewhat lazy. And then the ending comes along and it is about as perfect an ending for this type of thing as I could imagine. But it only partially redeems him because I had to wait 500 pages to get there.