riley

riley

The Belief in a Just World: A Fundamental Delusion
Melvin Lerner

Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book

Lost in the Cosmos: The Last Self-Help Book - Walker Percy Walker Percy is that rare thing, an American existentialist. And this book is that rare thing that both infuriates and inspires. I cannot do this book justice in any kind of summary, but the best I can attempt is this: it is a spirituality/philosophy tract posing as some kind of crazed pseudo-personality test. The conceit is novel, as far as I know. It works, for the most part. What this book needs most is a better editor, but in some ways that is it's greatest virtue as well. Would it really be this unhinged and this funny if Percy had a better editor? There are some readily corrected mistakes that were left in, I suppose accidentally. On the other hand, this is part of its charm. It's like some rant from a log cabin somewhere. I'd recommend this to everyone I know if I thought they'd like it too. But too often I have found things funny that no one else seems to laugh at. But how can anyone take “Why is Carl Sagan so lonely?” totally seriously? This is a challenge and a delight at the same time. I will have to read it again and then maybe I can give it a fairer assessment. In the meantime: what an experience.