riley

riley

The Belief in a Just World: A Fundamental Delusion
Melvin Lerner
No Exit and Three Other Plays - Jean-Paul Sartre

No Exit is iconic and important, even if it is a little obvious in retrospect and even if Sartre's ideas have become a little cliche. (Well, that's to his credit, isn't it?)

I haven't read Electra (the Sophocles version) in forever but I feel like The Flies is an interesting reworking of the myth / story, and it did not go where I thought it would.

I sympathize with Jessica, at least until she falls in love with Hoederer, so I have a harder time accepting the moral of Dirty Hands, even though I sort of agree with it (I stress sort of). This play is great evidence why Sartre, for all his talk, was a closet essentialist, And though this is far more obvious in Being and Nothingness than it is here, the germs of his intellectualizing his own ideas into meaninglessness are here, to my eyes.

The Respectful Prostitute feels like it is designed to provoke outrage and is, in some small ways, reminiscent of Dogville and other European "critiques" of US culture that appear to be written by people who have never lived in the United States. Parts of it sort of ring true but much of it feels contrived. This feels even more contrived than the kind of story Hollywood have made into a message movie.