riley

riley

The Belief in a Just World: A Fundamental Delusion
Melvin Lerner

Crucible of War: The Seven Years' War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754-1766 - Fred Anderson In depth and interesting but he doesn't really convince me on his argument, that the Seven Years War was THE causal factor in the revolution. There's too much exposition and not enough analysis to really believe it. Besides, I don't buy the argument that there was a sole determining factor. That being said, the book is fascinating and really, really thorough. Much of what he discusses was totally new to me and I am someone who is pretty familiar with the French and Indian Wars. So the value in this is not in the overall arching argument (which doesn't seem necessary...can't we just have a history of the war without a overarching argument?) but in the period detail and information and the examining of the whole conflict from the cultural perspective which, though it may be incomplete, is still quite illuminating. Fortunately, though Anderson isn't the greatest writer in the world, he is also far from the dullest and the whole thing is generally interesting and worthwhile.